Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 50: Walk for Hope

“Success is moving from failure to failure with enthusiasm” – Winston Churchwill.

More than 50 days ago I made a commitment to myself. I started this challenge for many factors that were going on in my life, maybe because I was afraid to do this by myself and I wanted to share it with the world, maybe because I was going through a difficult phase were everything was black with a broken heart, work and friends deceptions, and I needed a new reason to recreate everything I’ve ever wanted.

Something I wanted for so long (writing) was combined with a physical challenge (run 5k) and the result looks like fiction. But it is not. The black phase is gone, and even though there are still a lot of things I want to change in my life, I know what really matters.

5:00AM: I woke up earlier than ever excited for the big day. I even woke up before my alarm clock went on. My excitement was notable. I was wishing this day since the beginning.

Looking for parking was difficult which delay us (my friend K & I), we even missed the start gun.

“They already started” a friend from work told us when we got off the bathroom.

The great event against breast cancer started at 8:00 AM, 103 degrees, plain desert and starting late is definitely not the way I pictured this day. The sun was not friendly in anyway, the dust in that terrible environment was impossible of controlling. After finishing the first kilometer the sun started to get stronger, no shade to protect, and no wind to blow, just plain and dusty desert.





The sun was making me weaker every step of the way, and I had no water to drink. I stopped controlling my breathing and focusing in surviving. The heat started to affect me and made me dizzy. I slowed down, I started seeing black spots and shaking for the heat. “I can’t stop” I kept telling myself. I survived another kilometer, but after the heat entirely controlled my body and starting to dehydrate and forced me to stop…

I felt bad for the kids making the walk, they looked really dehydrated.

Everyone was complaining and the runners were stopping, not the professional ones of course.

I tried to get back on track and start running again, I couldn’t…I started to feel how I felt three years ago when I fainted, and ended up at the hospital. I decided to slow down, it is better to finish the race than to faint in the middle of the desert.

Crossing the finish line feeling like I failed, it is one big awful feeling that only causes disappointment.




I failed, I failed to myself. In the past days I had dreams about running the whole thing, I was physically and mentally in the other side. Not sure what happened, not sure where everything fell apart.

I was prepared, but not prepared enough. I was not prepared to run like a fugitive in the worst conditions. Now I can feel the pain of immigrants meanwhile walking in the desert to save their lives. I’m lucky I made this only for a challenge and not for survival.

I was devastated. I cheered myself up taking some goodies from the event and talking to my friends after the event. I faked to be ok, I was not. I kept blaming myself for not doing the effort enough the last week and specially this day.

I spent the whole day after the race sleeping and thinking. I tasted the flavor of my tears. Trying to avoid text messages and calls from my friends and family who were trying to find out how was the race. How do I suppose to tell them?

How can I be an inspiration if I don’t complete this challenge? How can I motivate my brothers and sisters to do this with me? How am I going to be an example?

I was not ready to finish, so I didn’t.

I had two choices: give up forever and be disappointed for the rest of my life or look for second chances and keep trying.

I recovered and after 12 hours I tried again. I decided to give it a second try for the 50th day. I put my gym clothes again and I went to the park.

98 degrees, night time, Chaparral Park, music on and under my own terms. I ran nonstop 3 and half laps to the Chaparral park equivalent to 3.5 miles = 5.63 km.

I felt like if I ran in a race with people I can have proof I’m capable to do it. But I have no else to proof this but myself.

I did it, I ran 5k in 50 days, maybe not in the planned conditions, or in front of a bunch of people, but I did it under my own terms and the stars as witnesses.

I did, I did it for me, for my mom, for my dad, for my brothers and sisters, for my friends, for my readers, I just did it.

Even though I still have this feeling of wanting to run in an event, there are always second chances. On October 10th there is another opportunity to proof me I can do this surrounded of people and under pressure.

I haven’t lost anything and I won a lot. I now have the habit to write every day (this is priceless, because it was not planned). I have the habit of working out, maybe not running long distances every day, but working out that’s for sure. I eat better, I take my vitamins, and I restructured my inner force. I can run more than ever in my life. I’m not afraid for my next challenge.

I’m not ready to stop here, so I won’t. My next steps are running on October 10th, and who knows, maybe a triathlon, or a half-marathon.

Today’s advice is to never give up. Use discipline and perseverance.

You have two choices give up forever or look for second chances.

Plan your challenges and make sure that they help someone besides you.

You might fail, you might succeed, but whatever happen, do not ever stop. Maybe your plan changes and your friends let you down when you must need them, maybe you’re away from your family and you only want them with you in difficult moments, maybe there is lot of factors that can stop you, but the only person that can stop you is yourself. Dealing with disappointment is never a fun job.

I’ve learned that no one else can diminish you but yourself.

I can’t tell you what the best options are to live your life, because I’m just experimenting and living mine. I just can tell you to live with passion and never be afraid to follow your dreams.

Use your heart to find your passions and use your mind to make them happen.

Remember that Inspiration becomes art. What you want becomes your vision.

Remember that there are not endings in any story… just new beginnings…

This life is full options, and I’ve chosen mine…have you?





Día 50: Walk for Hope – Caminata por la Esperanza

“El éxito consiste en moverse de fracaso en fracaso con entusiasmo” – Winston Churchwill.

Hace más de 50 días hice un compromiso conmigo misma. Empecé este reto por muchos factores que estaban sucediendo en mi vida, tal vez porque tenía miedo de hacerlo por mi sola y quería compartirlo con el mundo, tal vez porque estaba pasando por una etapa difícil donde todo era negro y con el corazón roto, con decepciones de trabajo y de amigos, y necesitaba una nueva razón para recrear todo lo que siempre había querido.

Algo que había querido desde hace mucho (escribir) combinado con un reto físico (correr 5km) y el resultado parece ficción, pero no lo es. La fase negra se ha ido y a pesar de que tengo muchas cosas que quiero cambiar en mi vida, ya sé lo que realmente es importante.

5:00AM: me desperté más tarde que lo de costumbre para el gran día. Hasta me desperté antes de que mi alarma sonara. Se podía notar mi entusiasmo. Anhelaba el final desde el principio.

Encontrar estacionamiento fue difícil lo cual nos atraso (mi amiga K & yo), hasta nos perdimos el disparo de salida.

“Ya empezaron” nos dijo un amigo del trabajo después de que salimos del año.



El gran evento contra la cura del cáncer empezó a las 8:00 AM, 39-40 grados, pleno desierto y empezando tarde, definitivamente no es la forma en la que me imaginaba este día. El sol no fue nada amigable, el polvo en ese ambiente tan terrible era difícil de controlar. Después del primer kilometro el sol estaba más fuerte, no había sombra para esconderse, no viento que soplara, solo desierto plano y polvoroso.






El sol me hacía cada vez más débil en cada paso, y sin aguar que beber. Deje de controlar mi respiración para concentrarme en sobrevivir. El calor me empezó afectar y me maree. Baje mi velocidad y comencé a ver puntos negros y temblar un poco por el calor. “No puedo parar” me seguía diciendo. Sobreviví otro kilometro, pero después el calor controlo mi cuerpo completamente y comencé a deshidratarme y me forzó a pararme…

Me sentí mal por los niños que estaban caminando, ellos se veían bastante deshidratados también.

Todos se estaban quejando y algunos corredores se estaban parando, no los profesionales por supuesto.

Intente volver a correr, pero no pude… me empecé a sentir como hace 3 años cuando me desmaye y termine en el hospital. Decide bajar mi velocidad al caminar, es mejor terminar la carrera que desmayarme en medio del desierto.

Cruzar la meta sintiéndome que falle, es uno de los sentimientos más horribles que solo causa decepción.

Falle, me falle a mí misma. En los últimos días solo tenia sueños de cómo corría todo. Estaba física y mentalmente preparada. No estoy segura que paso, no estoy segura donde todo se vino abajo.

Estaba preparada, pero no lo suficiente. No estaba preparada para correr como fugitiva en las peores condiciones. Ahora puedo sentir lo que sienten los inmigrantes cuando caminan por el desierto para salvar sus vidas. Soy afortunada que solo hice esto por un reto y no por sobrevivencia.

Estaba deshecha. Me anime un poco con las cosas que regalaban y hablando con mis amigos después del evento. Fingí estar bien, pero no lo estaba. Me seguía culpando de no haber hecho suficiente esfuerzo la última semana y en especial este día.

Me pase el día entero después de la carrera, durmiendo y pensando. Probé el sabor de mis lágrimas. Trate de evitar los mensajes o llamadas de mis amigos o familia, quienes querían saber cómo me había ido en la carrera. ¿Cómo les iba a decir?

¿Cómo puedo ser una inspiración si no termine mi reto? ¿Cómo voy a motivar a mis hermanos y hermanos a hacer esto conmigo? ¿Cómo voy a ser un ejemplo?

No estaba lista para parar y que todo acabara ahí, así que no pare.

Tenía dos opciones: vencerme para siempre y estar decepcionada para el resto de mi vida o buscar segundas oportunidades y seguirlo intentando.

Me recuperé y después de 12 horas lo intenté de nuevo. Decidí darme una segunda oportunidad en mi día 50. Me puse mi ropa deportiva y me fui al parque.

36 grados, de noche, en el parque Chaparral, con mi música puesta y bajo mis propios términos. Corrí sin parar 3 vueltas y media al parque lo que equivale 3.5 millas que son 5.63 kilómetros.

Sentía que si corría en una carrera con gente podría mostrar que podía hacerlo. Pero no tenia que probarle nada a nadie más que a mí misma.

Lo hice, corrí 5 km en 50 días, tal vez no en las condiciones planeadas, o enfrente de gente, pero lo hice bajo mis propias condiciones y las estrellas como testigos.

Lo hice, lo hice por mí, lo hice por mi mama, mi papa, mis hermanos y hermanas, por mis amigos, por mis lectores, solamente lo hice.

Tal vez todavía tengo este sentimiento de querer correr en un evento, y siempre hay segundas oportunidades. El 10 de Octubre hay otra gran oportunidad para probarme que puedo hacer esto rodeada de gente y bajo presión.

No he perdido nada y he ganado bastante. Ahora tengo el habito de escribir todos los días (esto no tiene precio ya que no lo tenía planeado). Tengo el hábito de hacer ejercicio, tal vez no de correr distancias largas todos los días, pero sí de hacer ejercicio. Como mejor, me tomo mis vitaminas y reestructure mi fuerza interna. Ahora puedo correr más de lo que he hecho en toda mi vida y no tengo miedo de mi próximo reto.

No estoy lista para parar aquí, así que no lo hare. Mis siguientes pasos es correr el 10 de Octubre y quién sabe, tal vez un triatlón o un medio maratón.

El consejo del día de hoy es no vencerse. Usa disciplina y perseverancia.

Tiene dos opciones darte por vencido para siempre o buscar segundas oportunidades.

Planea tus retos y asegúrate de que incluyas ayudar a alguien aparte de a ti mismo.

Tal vez falles, tal vez tengas éxito, pero sea lo que pase, nunca te detengas. Tal vez tus planes cambien y tus amigos no te respondan cuando más los necesitas, tal vez estés lejos de tu familia y solo quieres estar con ellos en momentos difíciles, tal vez hay muchos factores que pueden pararte, pero la única persona que puede pararte, eres tú. Lidiar con la decepción nunca es un trabajo fácil.

He aprendido que nada puede hacerte menos más que tú mismo.

No puedo decirte cuales son las mejores opciones para vivir tu vida, porque solamente estoy experimentando y viviendo la mía. Solo puedo decirte que vivas con pasión y nunca tengas miedo de seguir tus sueños.

Utiliza tu corazón para encontrar tus pasiones y utiliza tu mente para hacerlos realidad.

Recuerda que la inspiración se convierte en arte y lo que quieres se convierte en tu visión.

Recuerda que no hay finales en ninguna historia, simplemente nuevos comienzos…

Esta vida está llena de opciones, yo he elegido las mías… ¿y tú ya?

Ofe

5 comments:

  1. Keep walking and never look behind. Lay down new goals but by no means lost your main goal off sight

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... you made me cry... this story I never imagined like it happened. YOU ARE A TRUE inspiration to me on my own battle and journey that I am at right now! wow!!! Your family and you are figthers you should feel so proud! Congratulations, never give up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now let´s go and eat a lot of bacon, you need new energy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bien Ofe, el correr y escribir es algo que ya lo tienes en tu rutina diaria de vida y no lo debes de dejar de hacer, que tu próximo reto sea escribir sobre tu vida en un país diferente al tuyo, “Una Mexicana en Phoenix”, y luego si puedes pasarte a los medios impresos… como ves… OMV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ofe, running and writing well is something that you have already it in your daily routine of life and it you do not have to stop doing, that your next challenge is to write on your life in a country different from yours, “a Mexican in Phoenix”, and soon if you can pasarte to average forms… as you see… OMV

    ReplyDelete