Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 30: Tempe Town Lake

Someone once told me that there is always a special place for us to go and forget about any problem.


Can a place actually do that? I don’t really think so. I think that being in that special place we find the peace that we might not find in a day a day basis. That place can make us remember and hypnotize us with its beauty, that’s possible. But the place itself doesn’t do it, you do it when you feel the wind that you only can feel in that place; that feeling combined with your emotions make that place memorable.

One of my special places is Tempe Town Lake. I went there after finishing my first 5k in Phoenix. I took my first picture with my Nikon there. I drove by the lake the time I came for my job interview in 2007. Even in that place, I have another special spot (I’m not telling where it is because is secret; I only have taken a few lucky people there) where I can sit for a couple of hours to watch the stars and to imagine if someone else in the world is doing the same thing I’m doing: absolutely nothing but watch the stars. In my favorite spot I can hear and see airplanes pass by thanks to it’s nearest to the airport. This makes me think “where am I going to be next? What’s my next adventure?”

Whenever I’m flying I can’t help to look down Tempe Town Lake and look who is watching. I haven’t ever been able to actually identify someone, but it is just a bad habit. Today I went to the lake to workout.

It could be silly for some people just to watch stars. But you have no idea the peace and relief you can find when you look up and see the sky, stars and moon and realize how huge the world is and that we are not alone.

Tempe Town Lake is part of the Salt River and is relative new. There are always a lot of events held on this lake as new year’s eve block party, concerts, music festivals, Fourth of July fireworks, Triathlon, etc, just to name a few. Two months ago a portion of the dam of the lake collapsed and as a result drained the lake. The lake is practically empty now and is expect to reopen by November 1. It is sad to see something that was so strong and solid to bend down. I guess nothing is invincible.

Today’s advice is to find your own special place. The place that makes you feels secure, safe and relief. Maybe is your backyard, your patio, your church, your parent’s home or your own bedroom. Maybe that place is in other country like my top special place that is a bench in front of the Big Ben in London. If you are not sure where that place could be, or you think that you don’t need one, lie down on the grass and just watch the stars for a few minutes, you won’t be able to deny to yourself that you felt different, at least for a second.

Today’s results:

22 minutes running and 18 minutes walking. Not sure of the distance. Total workout: 40 minutes.


Tempe Lake Sunset





Día 30: Lago de Tempe

Alguien me dijo alguna vez que siempre hay un lugar especial que al ir nos hace que nos olvidemos de nuestros problemas.

¿Puede un lugar de verdad hacer eso? No lo creo. Creo que estando en ese lugar encontramos la paz que necesitamos que no podemos encontrar diariamente. Ese lugar nos hace recordar y nos hipnotiza con su belleza, eso si es posible. Pero ese lugar no lo hace, tú lo haces cuando sientes el viento que solo puedes sentir en ese lugar: ese sentimiento combinado con tus emociones hacen de ese lugar memorable.

Uno de mis lugares especiales es el Lago de Tempe. Fui ahí después de terminar mi primera carrera de 5k en Phoenix. Tomé mi primera foto con mi cámara Nikon. Pase por ahí cuando vine a mi entrevista de trabajo en el 2007. Dentro de ese lugar, tengo otro lugar favorito (que no voy a decir por es secreto; solo he llevado a pocas personas afortunadas) donde puedo sentarme por algunas horas y ver las estrellas e imaginarme si alguien más en el mundo está haciendo lo mismo que yo: absolutamente nada más que ver las estrellas. En mi lugar favorito puedo escuchar y ver aviones pasar, gracias a que este lugar está cerca del aeropuerto. Esto me hace pensar: ¿Que es lo que sigue y a donde iré? ¿Cuál será mi nueva aventura?

Cuando estoy volando no puedo evitar ver abajo hacia el lago de Tempe y ver quien está viendo hacia arriba. Nunca he podido identificar a alguien, pero es solo un mal hábito. Hoy fui al lago a hacer ejercicio.

A lo mejor no tiene sentido para algunas personas solo ver las estrellas. Pero no tienes idea la paz que se siente cuando ves el cielo, las estrellas y la luna y percatarte que enorme es el mundo y de que no estamos solos.

El lago de Tempe es parte del Rio Salado y es relativamente nuevo. Se hacen bastantes eventos como la fiesta de fin de año, conciertos, festivales de música, festejo del 4 de Julio, triatlones, etc. solo por mencionar algunos. Hace dos meses una parte de la presa que esta el lago se colapso y el lago se seco. Ahora está prácticamente vacío y se espera que se reabra en Noviembre. Es triste ver como algo que fue tan fuerte y solido se derrumbe. Creo que nada es invencible.

El consejo del día de hoy es encontrar nuestro propio lugar especial. Un lugar que te haga sentir seguro y liberado. Tal vez sea tu patio, tu iglesia, la casa de tus papas o tu propio cuarto. O tal vez ese lugar este en otro país como uno de mis lugares favoritos: la banca que esta frente al Big Ben en Londres. Si no estas seguro de cual podría ser tu lugar, o si piensas que no necesitas uno, acuéstate en el zacate y solo ve las estrellas por unos minutos, no podrás negarte que te sientes diferente, al menos por un segundo.

Resultados de hoy:

22 minutos corriendo y 18 minutos caminando. No estoy segura de la distancia. Total de 40 minutos.

Ofe
 
 
Tempe Lake


Tempe center for the arts

No comments:

Post a Comment